How to Pay Taxes With Your Credit Card

1.Complete your federal income tax return. If you have a balance due, consider using your credit card to pay the tax bill.
2.Use a MasterCard, American Express or Discover card. Visa does not participate.
3.Include your credit card information when you are filing your tax return electronically.
4.Call (888) 2PAY-TAX (888-272-9829) if you're mailing in your return or if you've already filed electronically. This is a toll-free call.
5.Provide the requested information as well as the date you want the payment made. You have through April 17, 2000 to pay.
6.Note the confirmation number you are given on the phone. This (and your credit card bill) is your proof of payment.
7.Expect a "convenience fee" based on the amount charged to be added to your credit card bill. The fee averages 2.5 percent; it is $3 for up to $100 and $68 for $2,000 to $2,699.
8.Pay the bill in full when received or be prepared to pay the credit card's usual interest charges. The charge will be labeled "U.S. Treasury."
9.Rest assured that the IRS does not receive or want your credit card information. 
Use your credit card only if you filed a tax return last year and, if you filed a joint return, were the primary taxpayer - the first one listed.
You may use your credit card to pay another person's tax bill.
Pay estimated taxes by credit card if you wish.
Get an automatic extension to file by charging additional taxes owed by April 17. You won't need to send in Form 4868.
Some credit cards may give you bonus miles and other perks.
Use the same toll-free number to pay an income tax balance due California, Connecticut, Illinois, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oklahoma or the District of Columbia. 
Warnings: Once you authorize payment through your credit card, you cannot change your mind and retract your decision.   

Related Posts